Fri, Aug 25|
Calgary Changemaker School
Homeschool Rec Program TERM 1 2023-2024
Wednesday & Friday Rec Program for Homeschoolers in Grades 1-7 TERM ONE: August 25 2023 - December 15 2023 (27 days)
Time & Location
Aug 25, 2023, 8:30 a.m. – Dec 15, 2023, 3:30 p.m.
Calgary Changemaker School, 16 Commercial Dr, Calgary, AB T3Z 2A7, Canada
About the event
Our Homeschool Rec Program is designed for Homeschoolers in Grades 1-8 and runs full days (8:30am-3:30pm) on Wednesdays & Fridays at the Calgary Changemaker School (aftercare available at: calgarychangemakerschool.com/care-and-camps/).
Pricing & Dates (classes are taught by certified teachers and includes all off-site activities, field trips, materials and clubs):
TERM ONE: $2565 August 25 - December 15 (27 days)
TERM TWO: $1710 January 10 - March 20 (18 days)
TERM THREE: $2090 April 10- June 26 (22 days)
Wednesdays (8:30am-3:30pm) include (subject to minor changes each week):
- Guided Reading, Literacy/Numeracy Workshops & Buddy Reading with Calgary Changemaker School K-8 students.
- Changemaker Skills - students are placed in multi-age workshop groups with Changemaker students based on greatest areas of need or strength such as: organizational skills, communication/collaboration games, social-emotional learning, test-writing skills, or leadership.
- Forest School (on or off-site in Bragg Creek) or Local Field Trips (bus and trip fees included in program price)
Fridays (8:30am-3:30pm) include (subject to minor changes each week):
- Numeracy/Literacy Challenge Groups
- Changemaker Town Hall
- Maker Space or STEAM Project Block
- Outdoor Education, Outdoor Sports
- Spirit Days
- Choice Clubs (offerings change each term):
Some of the clubs we have offered in the past include (not all in the same term):
- Culinary Arts (Advanced) / Healthy Culinary Creations (Beginner)
- Survival Skills
- Snow Fort Building or Spring Loose Parts Play
- Ninja Challengers
- Visual Arts (painting, drawing, mixed-media etc.)
- Music or Band
- Dance or Yoga
- Lego & STEAM Challengers
- Gardening & Hydroponics
- Spanish as a Second Language
- All recreational programs are non-refundable once paid as we have to hire staff and purchase materials in advance.
- All students in our rec program are required to wear their Changemaker T-shirt (included and provided on first day) while participating in our programs. Additional optional uniform options can be purchased in our school store in the Main Office.
- Students will need a lunch, 2 snacks and appropriate gear for outdoor learning, field trips and Forest School in all types weather.
- There are no assessments or formal report cards provided for rec program participants. However, periodic narrative updates on your child's academic, social or emotional learning can be provided by teachers upon request.
We strive to be an inclusive and welcoming school for all, but we are not a designated special needs school. Therefore do not have the resources, funding or expertise to appropriately support some students, including:
- Students with severe behaviour challenges, oppositional defiance, or any history of aggression or physical violence.
- Students who require 1:1 support (unless the family provides their own support person).
- Students who require nursing staff or who are considered medically fragile (unless the family provides their own support person).
- Students who may be a flight risk or danger to themselves or others in an outdoor learning environment.
Please contact us prior to application if your child has complex or special needs. We will be happy to discuss whether your child will benefit from our program.